Kinahan & Co. opens at 12 Trinity Street, Dublin. The founder of this wine and spirit enterprise was Daniel Kinahan (1756-1827), of Roebuck Park, County Dublin and 11 Merrion Square, Dublin. Kinahan & Co acquires its own, impressive, Vaults at Hamilton Row, Dublin. Built to the rear of No.11 Merrion Square, these massive vaults were described in 1866 as being “in three great divisions running parallel with each other, the centre one being 150 feet, and those on either side being 250 feet in length. The bins are of stone and iron, many of them being of enormous dimensions. The letters “L.L.” in the trademark stood for “Lord Lieutenant’s whiskey”. The mark arose when Duke of Richmond, a customer of Kinahan’s and the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, gave instructions that a vat of Kinahan’s whiskey should be set apart for him with the letters ‘L.L.’ and a ducal coronet painted thereon. Charles Lennox, 4th Duke of Richmond, 4th Duke of Lennox, 4th Duke of Aubigny, KG, PC (9 December 1764 – 28 August 1819) was a Scottish soldier and politician and Governor General of British North America. He became the 4th Duke of Richmond on 29 December 1806, after the death of his uncle, Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond. In April 1807 he became Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. He remained in that post until 1813. He participated in the Napoleonic Wars and in 1815 he was in command of a reserve force in Brussels, which was protecting that city in case Napoleon won the Battle of Waterloo.
The bouquet on this Bourbon-cask matured malt has notes of cherry pie, graham cracker pie crust, caramel, a touch of maltiness, baked oranges, and a hint of grapefruit in the background. The taste is thick and fruity with a good buildup of spicy dark pepper and allspice notes, balanced by orange pekoe tea, cherry cobbler, and touches of malt and nuts. A few drops of water opens up more fruity notes and boosts the spices as well. The finish is very long, spicy, with a nice tropical fruitiness in the background.