The bishops of Strasbourg were the owners of the town of Rouffach and the surrounding area from the 7th century until the French Revolution. At this time, Rouffach was the capital of the “Obermundat”. Landelin, an Irish monk, came to this area to convert the pagans early in the 7th century. He met with a violent death around the year 640. Five springs gushed forth from the place where he was slain and several miracles took place on his grave. He was canonised not long after his death, as was the custom at the time. Shortly afterwards a group of monks settled down nearby, establishing a monastery in St Landelin’s honour, on a site east of the Rhine around the year 725. Heddon (734-776), bishop of Strasbourg, set about reorganizing this monastery, called Mönchzell, “cella monacorum”. He later set up a second and bigger monastery a short distance away from the first one. This monastery was called Ettenheimmünster (from “Ettonis Monasterium” meaning Heddon’s monastery) in the memory of its benefactor. It was endowed with lands, vines, houses and servants from the Rouffach area. This endowment was called “praedium Sancti Landelini”, the Saint Landelin Estate. The vineyards were chosen from among the best available according to the donation act of the time. They are still located on the southern headland of the Strangenberg, in the very old localities called “Altengassen”, “Vorberg” -original name of the grand cru “Vorbourg”, “Rothengarten”, “Hauhl” and “Mannberg”. In 1409, the Saint Landelin Estate became an hereditary leasehold of the Berler family from Rouffach, but still remained ecclesiastical property. During the French Revolution the Estate was shared between several private owners. It was not until the second half of the 19th century that the Clos Saint Landelin vineyard enjoyed a new development; this was due to Dr Wolfgang Weber, who was a real pioneer of Alsatian wine growing. Under the German domination, the vineyard was used as a model by the Agricultural School of Rouffach (which was established by that time). Impounded after 1918, the Clos Saint Landelin was bought by the owner of a mill, Mr Erny, in 1923. He carried on Dr Weber’s work for seven years. In 1930, he sold the Clos St Landelin vineyard with the stocks in barrels and in bottles to a company called “l’Union Vinicole du Haut-Rhin SA” of Colmar. This company only owned the vineyard for five years, after which it was purchased in 1935 by Mr Alfred Muré of Rouffach, René’s grandfather.
The wine is light yellow and brilliant. The nose is pure and presents very lemony notes of citrus fruits and also some mineral notes. In palate is a typical Riesling and one finds the aromas of lemon and of cardamome present in the nose. The balance of this wine is dry and the finish is raised by a fine acidity.