In 1850 the family’s interests were established as a firm, which by 1925 concentrated on shipping its own wines rather than supplying them to the other shippers. At 600 to 750 metres above sea level, at Quinta Grande a new vineyard was planted in January 1995. Its 10 hectares (25 acres) constitute the largest single vineyard on the Island and it is also the first on Madeira to be mechanised. Henriques & Henriques is now the largest independent producer and shipper of Madeira Wines and the only Madeira House who owns vineyards. The company relies on the most recent technical innovations, keeping however the unbroken family tradition that has lasted for 500 years in the production of the finest Madeira wines.
Pale, lemony-tinged burnished gold colour. Very intensely aromatic, with almost tropical fruit notes appearing feetingly, then nuts and citrus fruits. On the palate there is a little note of marzipan, and a rich, mouth-filling texture that makes this initially quite full and lush, with a depth of dry, acid-streaked toffee, spice and marmalade. Lovely structure and length here, with fine defnition and finesse.