The history of Lynch-Bages, situated in the lands of “Batges” at the entrance to Pauillac, is emblematic of the Médoc region. Thomas Lynch and the Cru de Lynch. Although there are records of the Bages territory as far back as the 16th century, the history of wine production in the area really began in the 18th century. From 1749 to 1824, the vineyard was owned by Thomas Lynch, the son of an Irishman from Galway who worked as a merchant in Bordeaux. Thomas Lynch managed the land wisely and produced high quality wines under the name of ‘Cru de Lynch’. As part of the prestigious 1855 Classification, for the Exposition Universelle de Paris, his wine would soon be classified as one of the fifth growths. Later on, Jean Lou Janou Cazes, a Montagnol (a term used to describe farmers from the austere upper valleys of Ariège), came to the Médoc to earn a living. In the 1930’s, General Félix de Vial, a descendant of the Cayrou family, leased the vineyard to Jean-Charles Cazes, the son of Lou Janou and a farmer at Château Ormes de Pez in Saint-Estèphe. Cazes went on to purchase both properties in the wake of World War II. Lynch-Bages has been run by the Cazes family ever since.
Deep ruby with purple tints. Jammy berries, oak, and cassis on the bouquet. There is depth here to the fruit, and hidden power too. A complete wine with splendid middle palate, dense and packed. The palate shows good concentration, freshness, and ripe character, finishing with hints of boysenberry. The dazzling finish oozes with great class and is astonishingly long.