Joseph and Henry Best immigrated to Australia as children from Surrey, England in 1834, eventually setting in Melbourne where they were schooled at St James. In the 1850s, the brothers moved west to Ararat, Victoria during the Victorian Gold Rush. The Bests saw more profit in looking after the miners requirements (rather than competing with them to find gold), so they formed a butchery business supplying meat to the goldfields. The brothers noted the early success of the first wine growers in the district. In 1865, Joseph planted some vines with cuttings from the original St Peters vineyard nearby; while in 1866, Henry established his own vineyard a couple of miles to the west, named after the Concongella Creek. Henry planted 73 acres of vines with about two miles of frontage along the creek and named the property Concongella. While his knowledge of wine was minimal, Henrys capacity for work was enormous and his project flourished. He built the original winery and underground cellars, using the skilled labour of local gold miners; both are still in use today. William Thomson, born in Paisley, Scotland in 1847, arrived in Australia in 1876. By 1892, William left his business as a baker and purchased an orchard, vineyard and working winery at Rhymney, 13 kilometres south west of Bests, building a new homestead with his 16 year old son Frederick Pinchon Thomson, which they named St Andrews. The Great Western district was spared of worldwide grape disease phylloxera which was wiping out other Victorian vineyards at the time. Their winery prospered during 1892 to 1900. William eventually returned to Melbourne and the baking business, leaving an ambitious Frederick in charge of the winery. In 1920 after Henry Bests death, Frederick purchased Bests Great Western. Fredericks two sons, fourth-generation Thomsons Eric Vivian (Viv) Thomson and William (Bill) Thomson took over the running of Bests in 1949. Viv, a Roseworthy graduate, completed his 50th consecutive vintage at Bests in 2010. His son Ben, became Managing Director and vineyard manager in 2008, carrying on the family tradition of taking the reigns from his father.
Very bright scarlet, with a pale scarlet hue. The bouquet shows a perfumed sappy, spicy, meaty aromatics mingle with fresh red fruit aromas and hints of forest floor. This wine reveals more with time in the glass. A full serve of the meaty, juicy varietal flavours are balanced with a soft acidity and lingering velvety tannins.