Our wine takes its name from the original Battle of Bosworth, fought on Bosworth Field, Leicestershire, England in 1485. Here the last of the Plantagenet Kings, Richard the III, was slain by Henry Tudor, becoming the last king of England to die in battle. His death ended the War of the Roses. The roots of our family’s battle were planted in the early 1840s with the first Bosworth vineyard in McLaren Vale. Located in Willunga, to the south of the McLaren Vale township, Edgehill Vineyard was established in the early 1970s by Peter and Anthea Bosworth. Willunga itself was settled in approximately 1837 and Bosworths have been growing grapes in the district on and off from the late 1840s. Son Joch Bosworth took over the management and day to day running of the vineyards in 1995, and set about converting the vineyards to certified organic viticulture from this time. Traditionally a region of mixed agriculture from the earliest pioneer days, Willunga grew wheat, sheep, stone fruits and barley, as well as dairy cattle and almonds. Almonds were an important part of the local economy in the 1950s and 1960s, but Willunga was unable to compete with the Riverland region’s unrestricted access to water for irrigation and cheap land for almond growing, and the industry fell into decline. Many of the commercial almond groves became derelict as a result, and Edgehill Vineyard was established on one such property. Battle of Bosworth Wines was established in 2001 by Joch and partner Louise Hemsley-Smith and wines are made from vines that were planted in the early 1970’s by Joch’s parents.
Brilliant pale straw colour with a tinge of green on the edges and watery hue. The nose displays subtle citrus and nectarine scents followed by some light toast and spice. Medium weight and elegant but with good textural qualities the palate has flavours of cashew, nougat, citrus and spice. Clean dry finish with aftertaste of cashew, light nougat and spice.