The story of Auntsfield goes way back to 1842, when Rev Charles Saxton obtained the original land grant from The New Zealand Company. He is likely to have had some serious help in gaining the rights, as his brother in law, was Joseph Somes, the Governor of The New Zealand Company. However, Saxton was never to set foot onto his Marlborough station. Hidden in the heart of this youthful Marlborough grape country, there is a small wine cellar, set in the side of a hill. Nothing unusual in that you may think. There are now a few cellars around the province. However this cellar has something no other does. With four massive gum trees standing sentinel, the rammed earth cellar, with dirt floor and Manuka log roof, is an impressive reminder that winemaking in Marlborough does in fact have a proud past. This cellar was the first of its kind to be built in Marlborough in 1873. It was another 100 years before the first of the new era vines where planted in the region. Sited at Auntsfield Vineyard, the old cellar has been lovingly restored to its historical glory. For current owners, the Cowley family, the cellar is the first in a long journey to restore a very special part of this region’s history.
Deep red in colour. The bouquet shows berry fruit and dark plum aromas are complimented by savoury and gamey complexing characters including violets and dried spice. Rich and ripe on the palate. Very nice upfront weight with generous fruit and volume. Lashings of oak and tannin give this wine a bold and lengthy structure.
There are no reviews yet