The distillery was founded in 1879 by James Fleming, who shrewdly built it on the site of St Drostan’s Well, thus securing forever this priceless source of pure spring water. When the journalist Alfred Barnard visited Aberlour in the 1880s, as part of his exhaustive survey of Scottish whisky distilleries, he described James Fleming’s new establishment as a “perfect modern Distillery”. In 1898 a fire destroyed several of the distillery buildings and most of the whisky stocks. Under the supervision of Scotland’s foremost designer of whisky distilleries, Charles Doig of Elgin, the Aberlour Distillery was largely rebuilt. Aberlour is an ancient place as well as a beautiful one. For more than 1,400 years there has been a community there and signs of its long heritage are all around, from the age-old oak trees above Linn Falls to the mysterious standing stones on Fairy Hill. At the distillery, nature, tradition and local craftsmanship combine to create a great malt whisky – the spirit of Aberlour.
Clear, deep golden amber in colour. Rich fruitcake, dark dried fruit, toasty biscuit, walnuts with creamy mocha coffee. Dark and toasty with burnt fruitcake, mocha coffee, chocolate mouse, plum fruit and spice (nutmeg, cinnamon and light clove). Toasty mocha coffee, chocolate cake and spice. Takes a splash of water well.