Gusbourne Estate sits on the low slopes of the ancient Kentish escarpment at Appledore. Our extensive two hundred hectare Estate is on a single site with twenty hectares under vine cultivation with Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier grapes. We are currently planting a further ten hectares of these Champagne clone vines, placing the extent of our plantings amongst the largest vineyards in England. The first mention of Gusbourne Estate dates back to 1410, when John de Gosborne’s will was filed. Subsequently the estate passed to Philip Chute, a man of distinction and great wealth who won fame and the gratitude of Henry VIII at the siege of Boulogne on September 14th 1544. He had served as the standard bearer to the men of arms of the Kings Band. ‘Goosbourne’ as it was known then, carried the characteristic three geese crest that now adorns the small parish church in Appledore. From grape to glass, ours is the pursuit of total perfection in the production of a new generation of sophisticated and elegant wines. First and foremost, we believe that great wines are created in the vineyards, and this is reflected in our uncompromising approach to the management and care of the Estate. We believe that our people, their dedication and their commitment in combination with the Estate’s distinctive terroir set us apart.
Fresh and fruity with a hint of cherries, plums and subtle bready notes, this is an impressive fizz that’s made from Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier; lovely delicate style with good balance between acidity and dosage. Nicely defined mid-palate with rich flavour, clean and crisp finish.