Located in the south east of the Montalcino region close to the beautiful medieval village of Castelnuovo dell’Abate, the estate of Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona can trace its roots back to the 17th century and it still keeps its historical heritage in a building called “Palazzo” (Palace) that was built by Fabivs de’ Vecchis, Bishop of Montalcino and Abbot of Sant’Antimo Abbey. After the Bishop’s death, the Palace and the surrounding estate were auctioned according to the Italian law regarding ecclesiastic properties and on September 16, 1868, they were purchased by the countess Eva Bernini Cerretani. On December 31, 1877, the countess Cerretani sold the entire estate to the Ciacci family from Castelnuovo dell’Abate. After the marriage between the count Alberto Piccolomini d’Aragona, a direct discendent of Enea Silvio Piccolomini (Pope Pius II) and Elda Ciacci, the Bishop’s Palace became the Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona Palace. The Ciacci family owned the estate for over a hundred years until the death of Countess Elda Ciacci. As the Countess had no children she left the property to her long standing and well respected estate manager Giuseppe Bianchini. His hard work and dedication has been continued by his son and daughter, Paolo and Lucia, who have developed the property and wines to their current respected position.
Ruby red verging on garnet. Ripe black-skinned fruit, underbrush, truffle and dark spice aromas come together in this full-bodied red. The palate is firm and seamless, delivering mature black cherry, raspberry compote, licorice and pipe tobacco flavors with both power and finesse. Tightly knit, polished tannins on the finish.